23 July, 2013

Death of Mahamaya mother of Siddhartha Gautama


  • On the fifth day the ceremony of name-giving took place. The name chosen for the child was Siddharth. His clan name was Gautama. Popularly, therefore, he came to be called Siddharth Gautama. 
  • In the midst of rejoicing over the birth and the naming of the child Mahamaya suddenly fell ill and her illness became very serious.
  • Realising that her end was near she called Suddhodana and Prajapati to her bedside and said : " I am sure that the prophecy made by Asita about my son will come true. My regret is that I will not live to see it fulfilled."
  • " My child will soon be a motherless child. But I am not worried in the least as to whether after me my child will be carefully nursed, properly looked after and brought up in a manner befitting his future."
  • " To you Prajapati, I entrust my child, I have no doubt that you will be to him more than his mother."
  • " Now do not be sorry. Permit me to die. God's call has come and His messengers are waiting to take me." So saying, Mahamaya breathed her last. Both Suddhodana and Prajapati were greatly grieved and wept bitterly. 
  • Siddharth was only seven days old when his mother died.
  • Siddharth had a younger brother by name Nanda. He was the son of Suddhodana born to Mahaprajapati.
  • He had also several cousins, Mahanama and Anuruddha, sons of his uncle Suklodan, Ananda, son of his uncle Amitodan, and Devadatta, son of his aunt Amita. Mahanama was older than Siddharth and Ananda was younger. 
  • Siddharth grew up in their company.
Mahamaya

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful post, I am very happy to read this article. Please watch this video to learn interesting insights on 'Removing Doubts from Mahabharat dates Sanatana Dharma

    ReplyDelete